Evaluating Tests of General Cognitive Ability
Much controversy exists about using tests of general cognitive ability in the workplace to assess an individual’s ability to excel in a particular job. Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using tests of general cognitive ability to determine which individual is best suited for a particular job or which individual is best suited for leadership training and development.
Under what circumstances might you recommend a test of cognitive ability?
What are the potential adverse impacts that might affect the results of such tests of cognitive ability?
Analyze the use of tests of cognitive ability in the workplace.
Then, select three specific assessments of cognitive ability.
Review and evaluate each assessment.
Make sure to cover all of the following points:
1. Discuss the general use of tests of cognitive ability in the workplace, identifying the potential advantages and disadvantages of these types of tests, including the potential for adverse impact.
2. Assess the general circumstances when using a test of cognitive ability in the workplace would be appropriate. Identify the general circumstances when using a test of cognitive ability in the workplace would not be appropriate.
3. For each of the three different assessments of cognitive ability you have selected, describe the theoretical framework upon which each assessment is based, the typical uses for each assessment, and the target population(s) for each assessment.
4. Discuss each instrument’s reliability and validity, as well as administration considerations and costs to either the user or to the organization administering the assessment.
5. Analyze the advantages and disadvantages of using each assessment for its intended purpose. Under what circumstances would you recommend its use? When would you NOT recommend its use and why?