Case Study, Chapter 17, Preoperative Nursing Management
1. Joan Arnold, 67 years of age, is a female patient who underwent a coronary angiogram that diagnosed severe coronary artery disease in three of her coronary arteries, the left anterior descending, the left circumflex, and the right coronary artery. She is scheduled for a coronary artery bypass graft operation tomorrow. The nurse provides patient education for Mrs. Arnold and her husband, which includes watching a hospital video on the operation, the intensive care environment, what to expect after the surgery, the recovery period, and cardiac rehabilitation. The video also covered the importance of coughing and deep breathing, using an incentive spirometer, splinting, early ambulation, pain medication, and how to position oneself safely. The video stressed the importance of not rolling onto the side that the chest tube may be in place postoperatively. The video also discussed the preoperative preparation. The nurse also provided a booklet on the subject material. The nurse had a session with the patient and her husband to assess their understanding and to answer any questions they may have had.
- What specific preoperative nursing measures should the nurse review with the patient to help decrease the risk for postoperative complications?
- Explain the role of the nurse when implementing the immediate preoperative preparation the day before surgery and the morning of the surgery?
2. The nurse in a gynecology clinic is completing preoperative teaching for a patient scheduled for an abdominal hysterectomy next week. The patient states that she is currently taking 325 mg of aspirin daily for chronic joint pain, along with a multivitamin. The patient has type 2 diabetes; she closely monitors her blood glucose levels. Currently, she is taking an oral hypoglycemic agent. The nurse advises her to ask the anesthesiologist whether she should take this medication the morning of surgery.
- The nurse instructs the patient to stop taking the aspirin. What is the rationale for this action?
- Why is it important to assess the patient for use of herbal products prior to surgery?
c.The patient asks how surgery could affect her blood glucose; how should the nurse respond?
Homework Merchants is the premier online academic writing service provider for students of all levels. With highly experienced and qualified writers from Ivy League universities, we guarantee top-notch quality that meets your exact specifications and requirements.
At Homework Merchants, you can find help with any kind of academic task – be it an essay, dissertation or assignment. Whatever the deadline may be, our writers are able to provide timely and accurate results at affordable prices. We also offer editing services, where we review your work after submission to make sure no mistakes have been made in the process of writing.
Our commitment to excellence has enabled us to provide successful results in a variety of disciplines such as business studies, history, psychology and computer science amongst others. With our team of professional editors who review every written piece before submission; rest assured that getting an A+ grade is within your reach!
We believe that having access to high caliber experts makes completing homework tasks easier than ever before! Our team consists mainly of PhD holders from renowned institutions including Harvard University and Yale University who are well-informed about their respective fields and have many years experience helping students achieve success on their assignments. Our customized approach ensures maximum satisfaction for clients by providing them with personalized solutions tailored specifically for their needs – giving them more time to focus on other aspects of academia such as research projects or extra credit activities without worrying about cramming during exam season!
In addition to this, our secure payment system helps keep sensitive information safe while transactions take place quickly; ensuring convenience & safety at all times when using our services! So why wait? Get started today & give yourself a chance towards earning better grades right away with Homework Merchants!